Do a spectacular Addis Ababa Airport stopover tours by getting out of the airport during your Addis Ababa Airport transit time. You can get more out of your trip when you are passing through Addis Ababa on your way to another destination. Booking an Addis Ababa stopover or day trips from Addis Ababa means we will take care of the organizing; from arranging Addis Ababa airport transfers to the right hotels.
Addis Ababa Bole International Airport is the largest in Ethiopia and it’s the central hub for its national airline. There are a number of stopover tours available here. And it is a big business. Because Ethiopia’s largest airport is busy and around 12 million passengers a year pass through it usually on their way to somewhere else. Stopover tours can cost anything from 70 to 250 dollars and it’s a great way to see a city if you are pushed for a time. They give you a great taste of what is on offer.
Why book a stopover tour in Addis Ababa?
- You can enjoy exclusive rates.
- You can access to hot spots across Addis Ababa.
- You will be provided with time wise Addis Ababa stopover itineraries.
How to book your Addis Ababa Airport stopovers:
- Choose one of the optional Addis Ababa Airport stopover tour itineraries from this page in our website.
- Decide how long you wish to stopover in Addis Ababa.
- Contact us to book your tour.
Transit Visa: During your intermediate Addis Ababa Airport stopover, you need to apply for a transit visa at the appropriate counter at the airport on the first floor before passing the immigration desk. The process of applying for a transit visa is the same as with that of applying for a tourist visa.
Stopover time needed: Over 8 hours and up to 72 hours.
Addis Ababa Stopover Tour Itineraries
Addis Ababa Stopover Tour
Lake Wonchi is located some 135 km west of Addis Ababa. One can do a stopover tour to this place while he is on his transit in Addis Ababa Airport.
One day (24 hours)
Addis Ababa Stopover Tour Itinerary
For one day stopover in Addis Ababa, we recommend taking a day trip through the west of Addis Ababa to experience the marvelous Wonchi Crater lake, gorgeous landscapes, and one of the best places in Ethiopia to see nature. It is easy to get around with private vehicle.
Our 48 hours stopover tour focuses on the most important points of interest in Addis Ababa and the rift valley area in south Ethiopia where you can relax and admire nature.
Two days (48 hours)
Detailed Itinerary: Have 48 hours in Addis Ababa? So you have landed in Ethiopia, the land of Kush and ancient Sabean Kingdom, and the land of ancient monasteries dating back thousands of years. In Addis Ababa, there are several museums, monuments, market places where traditional goods are bought and sold. Along with the regularly-scheduled tours twice a week to Lake Langano and Awasa, this tour to part of south Ethiopia provides a wide selection of activities for those interested in wildlife including birds, lakes and excellent stopover locations to relax near beaches.
Three days (72 hours)
In three days, you will have time to travel to the Blue Nile Gorge, the largest canyon in Africa whose source was first reached to by a Spanish Jesuit in April 1613. You will have a chance to see several monkeys and bird life as you approach to this canyon.
Day 1: ARRIVE ADDIS ABABA
Arrive Addis Ababa Bole International Airport, be met by Paragon Ethiopia Tours’ representative, and then start your Addis Ababa stopover tour according to the following program:
From 12:30 am – 01:25 pm (noon time here in Ethiopia) visit the National Museum to see the replica of Lucy, the oldest and more complete fossil remain of early human ancestors, the nation’s historical and cultural heritages, archaeological collections starting with Lucy through Axumite and Gonderine periods to the modern day. On your way from your hotel to the National Museum, visit some monuments and statues that have great historical significance.
- From 01:45 pm – 02:45 pm visit the Ethnographic Museum at the institute of Ethiopian Studies at Addis Ababa University where you will have a chance to see ethnographic items from a multitude of different ethnic groups and other items to learn much of Ethiopia and its culture.
- From 03:10 pm – 04:30 pm would be dedicated for your shopping.
- From 05:00 pm – 6:00 pm—Take rest at your hotel.
- From 06:30 pm – 08:30 pm or so have your dinner.
- From 8:30 pm or so, drive back to your hotel. (This drive can take on average 30 minutes.)
Overnight stay in a hotel
Day 2: FULL-DAY EXCURSION TO THE BLUE NILE GORGE
- Pick up from your hotel is at 07:00 am to start driving to the Blue Nile Gorge which is located approximately 190 km (one-way) north of Addis Ababa. In this activity, you will see the Portuguese Bridge, which was built at the cusp of the 19th & 20th centuries using the traditional sealant of limestone and crushed ostrich shell instead of cement, the Debre Libanos Monastery which is the largest monastery in Ethiopia, and finally, the Blue Nile Gorge, the largest canyon in Africa and comparable in scale with the American “Grand Canyon”. En-route, admire spectacular mountain views, some rural villages of Ethiopia and other attractions that are of interest. After lunch, retrace to Addis Ababa. (IMPORTANT: Today, lunch would be boxed lunch as there is no standard hotel near or at a close distance to the Blue Nile Gorge to have lunch.) Hopefully, you will be back to Addis Ababa by around 05:15 pm.
- From 05:15 pm – 6:45 pm rest at your hotel
- From 07:00 pm – 09:00 pm or 09:15 pm enjoy your cultural dinner and live Ethiopian folkloric dance and music at an Ethiopian cultural restaurant.
- After 09:00 pm or 9:15 pm, drive back to your hotel.
Overnight stay in a hotel
Day 3: INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT
Transfer to the airport to catch your international flight.
This Addis Ababa stopover tour takes you to the adventurous place near the capital. The Guassa Plateau area is a worth visiting place for nature and adventure enthusiasts.
Four days (96 hours)
DAY 01: ADDIS ABABA – GUASSA PLATEAU AREA
Pick up from Addis Ababa is early in the morning around 07:00 AM and drive 265km northeast of Addis to the Guassa Plateau area. Arrival at Guassa Plateau would be around mid-day (12:00 – 13:00hr). After lunch and short rest, pitch your tent and then take your local guide to start your first day trekking by doing short trek to the nearby mountain top. This offers great views of the Guassa plateau and also a good chance to spot the Ethiopian wolf and Gelada monkeys. (IMPORTANT: Lunch for today would be boxed lunch.)
Overnight: Guassa Community Lodge
DAY 02: REGREG – ATSE WUHA
Today after breakfast, trek from Regreg to Atse Wuha (from afro alpine grassland area to the Lobelia Valley area) which takes roughly 5 – 6 hrs. In this trekking, you will have a chance to see plenty of highland flora and fauna, Gelada Monkeys, Ethiopian Wolves and the Lammergeyer bird.
Overnight stay Camping at Atse Wuha
DAY 3: ATSE WUHA – CHEGUARIT MEDA – ATSE WUHA
After breakfast, start trekking from Atse Wuha to Cheguarit Meda. (4 to 5 hours)
More wildlife and the life style of the local people are some of the most important attractions you can see in this trekking. In the afternoon, retrace to Atse Wuha.
Overnight stay camping at Atse Wuha
DAY 4: ATSE WUHA – Mehal MEDA – ADDIS ABABA
Do a short trekking from Atse Wuha to Mehal Meda where you will take your vehicle and then, retrace to Addis. (The distance from Mehal Meda to Addis Ababa is 265km, and this drive takes roughly 5 – 6 hours). END OF SERVICE
You will stay at in 3, 4, or 5 star Stopover Hotels in Addis Ababa depending on your budget while you are in the capital.